Tuesday, November 07, 2006

F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

I've been thinking of putting up a post for sometime now, but didn't really settle on a topic. Most of what I think to write about are nebulous and usually thought up during my drive to work, which by the way, can easily be derailed when some maniac haphazardly cuts into my lane whereby I'm compelled to H & C (honk & curse) ergo loosing my train of thought. Anyway...

Had a great 'ladies night out' with my chums from school last night. We're your average career women, replete in office garb and all. And I can't help but notice that the general the conversation centred around talk on the "hubby", "wedding plans", "property prices", "career prospects"... So far removed from when our topics of conversations were "have you done your homework assignment?", "guess who's having a crush on X? *gasp!* no way!!", "can you BELIEVE what a bore that teacher is?" so on and so forth. This makes me think of how far along my friendship with these ladies have come.

I've known two of them since I was in kindergarten. Gee... that felt like a lifetime away! (",) The rest were gathered from my early years of secondary school. When I think back to my formative years, my friends were a prominent feature in all of them. I can't imagine all the cuts and bruisess without them there to soothe and comfort me and sharing in on the accomplishments and credits. They've become like second family.

I might be a sentimental wuss but being the eldest of the pack, I can't help but feel a sense of nostalgic pride when I witness the marriage of my pals. Yes, I'm one of those who dabs furiously at my eyes at weddings. I remember the overwhelming rush of emotions when I witness Lisa sign her name on her marriage certificate. When I marry off my children in the future, I wonder if I will have the same feeling of relief, bittersweet happiness intermingled with a small sense of loss?

When I think back, I am thankful for being allowed into their lives. I never had siblings and they have been generous in sharing theirs with me. And likewise, I am glad they are in my life. I can go on and on and on with this but I will stop here. I just wanted to put it down on record, how much I appreciate all my friends not only the five ladies mentioned here, but everyone that I have met and became friends with throughout my life. ~Jas (,") 17.06.2005~

No comments: