Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Wedding Belles

I am attending a wedding this Sunday. The groom is a friend from a group of friends whom I've 'inherited' from an ex. My role in the wedding is to play 'ji mui' to the bride. It is a role which I am called in to play quite frequently these days.


I've got another two friends getting married on the same last Saturday of June. I know both the brides well. One is my friend from when I was sweet sixteen and the other is from my varsity days. I've been double booked on that day but fortunately, my varsity friend will have an 'encore' wedding reception back in our hometown on July 1. I've been asked to MC this event.

I've been invited to another wedding on July 8 in the Lion City of Singapore but I had to turn down the invite due to work commitments overseas.

When I attended another varsity chum's wedding in my hometown in May, I was pre-booked to MC at another mate's wedding in October. Since December 2005, I've also been 'summoned' to attend my ex-colleague's wedding in December this year.

Sitting here counting the number of wedding invitations I've received so far is daunting. There will be many more to come in the next couple of years as most of my friends of like age are settling down to wedded bliss and my services as 'ji mui' or MC will be called to the fore. I am running out of ideas to 'test' the groom's unrequited love for his bride. Just like I am running out of speech snippets for Chinese wedding MC-ing. There are very limited resources on the Net to this effect.

I am calling all readers who are experience or otherwise in either of these fields to please contribute your ideas for the benefit and greater good of all future 'ji muis' and Chinese wedding MCs. The grand plan is to gather all these ideas and organise them onto a website. Consider it as my contribution to the hoi polloi who are playing 'supporting roles' to the happy couple(s), traipsing down the aisle toward marital bliss. Please send all suggestions to ideas2me@gmail.com. No viruses, spam or offensive/malicious emails please. ~Jas (;") 09.06.2006~

No comments: