Friday, December 28, 2007

"Do they know it's Christmas..."...Do we?

Christmas came and went. SILENTLY. Christmas carols were so infrequently blasted over the radio in the days leading up to Christmas that I stopped listening out for it (instead, I played my own Christmas carols on the CD player). The streets look pretty much the same as they do everyday except for sporadic greetings in Bahasa Malaysia proclaiming: Selamat Hari Natal and Tahun Baru. The Christmas spirit is dead in Malaysia except in shopping malls.

All shopping malls in the Klang Valley spared no costs in conjuring up the 'rah-rah' for this season. Gigantic connifers sprouted out of polished tiles complete with fake snow and the works. I swear that they even turn down the thermostat to make it chilly for the added effect.

So what does Christmas mean to me? Zilch.. except the gift receiving part *grin*

No comments: